Author Topic: Carrion Comfort [Dan Simmons]  (Read 4404 times)

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Carrion Comfort [Dan Simmons]
« on: November 14, 2016, 02:07:49 PM »
Recently finished Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons. Published in 1989, it combines horror and thriller. The premise, a genetic abnormality which allows a very small percentage of the human population to over ride the will, and take control of others is outlandish, but Simmons makes it work. These individuals being able to control others works well from the perspective of a thriller, allowing them to play cat and mouse games through proxies, and also for some interesting action segments, where any passer by can be used as a weapon.

The plot focuses on a small group of ordinary people who become aware of these individuals, and for various reasons, commit to bringing them down. It's a very long book, but it's consistently engaging, with a complex and interesting plot, numerous twists, strong characterisation, and interesting action scenes. I've really liked what I've read of Simmons' work so far: The Terror, The Hyperion Cantos, Carrion Comfort, though I wasn't overly interested in A Winter Haunting. Recommended to horror and thriller fans, but a word of warning: it's pretty dark!