Author Topic: Tweak: Accuracy penalty when engaged in melee  (Read 7165 times)

Chabbrik

Tweak: Accuracy penalty when engaged in melee
« on: November 24, 2016, 02:45:40 PM »
One thing that kind of bothered me - all fighters seem to totally disregard the proximity of melee fighters next to them. This makes it melee much more vulnerable than I feel is justified.

Also melee and firearms deal approximate same level of damage, which does not make much sense. Maybe using a classical scheme "archers"/"fighters" would make more gameplay sense? Ranged units make tremendous damage, but vulnerable in close combat, so you need to balance between engaging enemy ranged units and protecting your own.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: Tweak: Accuracy penalty when engaged in melee
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 03:44:24 PM »
There is currently a penalty for trying to use an assault or precision rifle with adjacent enemies, and precision rifles have a penalty if the target is too close. These penalties are probably not severe enough as is, and will likely be increased.

Units aren't strictly ranged or melee, and can choose the best weapon for the situation at hand. As such, this might be difficult to achieve without the defined roles. Distinguishing and balancing the combat disciplines is an area which will receive attention, so please share your thoughts on this!

Nighteyes

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 04:27:32 PM »
Using a close combat weapon as a pistol, SMG or Shotgun even in melee makes perfect sense from a realistic perspective.
We have to suspend out belief a little since it's turnbased, but using any of those 3 weapons in close combat needn't be more than a single step in a given direction to ensure the attacker doesn't push the barrel away.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 08:02:01 PM »
That's the idea - with pistols and SMGs being smaller and more manuoverable, we might expect it to be easier to avoid an attempt to shove away the barrell. Shotguns, while more akin to assault and precision weapons in size, are very much intended for close combat, so it's more by functional necessity that they do not have the AR & SR penalties.

Chabbrik

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 08:41:41 AM »
Units aren't strictly ranged or melee, and can choose the best weapon for the situation at hand. As such, this might be difficult to achieve without the defined roles. Distinguishing and balancing the combat disciplines is an area which will receive attention, so please share your thoughts on this!

Well, that's probably the game designer intention, but I will share my player experience so far. Given that most units can only attack once per turn (melee usually can attack twice), I really hate missing. I really really do, especially when my shot has 70% chance of hitting.

The skills improve with usage (which I wholeheartedly love, it feels way more natural), but that means alternating between attack types makes my unit mediocre in both. I would rather have snipers and martial artists, than bunch of jack of all trades.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 03:34:48 PM »
As you level up the fleetness stat, you'll gain more AP, so it will be possible to make multiple attacks with firearms later on. Argh... the RNG : )

Nighteyes

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 04:41:44 PM »
Worship at the feet of RNGesus!!
If you show fear, he will give you bad rolls...
Instead revel in his abuse, take him into you and feel him fill you up...
All Hail RNGesus!!

Nomad

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 03:31:10 PM »
The skills improve with usage (which I wholeheartedly love, it feels way more natural), but that means alternating between attack types makes my unit mediocre in both. I would rather have snipers and martial artists, than bunch of jack of all trades.

By this reasoning, wouldn't the player determine who is a sniper and who is a martial artist, by simply having one character always use long range rifles while the other jumps straight into it?
They will rank up in the skills they use. That depends on how you use the characters.
Is this correct, or did I miss the point?

Chabbrik

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 08:10:45 AM »

By this reasoning, wouldn't the player determine who is a sniper and who is a martial artist, by simply having one character always use long range rifles while the other jumps straight into it?
They will rank up in the skills they use. That depends on how you use the characters.

That's exactly the point.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 02:19:07 PM »

Yeah, the classless nature of the the character system means there can't be melee penalties assigned to specific characters. AI wise, it would have been easier to assign each enemy a role, but where's the fun in that :)