Author Topic: [Resolved] Construction site - visual artifacts  (Read 5373 times)

Chabbrik

[Resolved] Construction site - visual artifacts
« on: January 01, 2017, 12:54:56 AM »
Good evening and happy new year,

Just got home to do a fresh round of testing.

In a map with construction site, I noticed something huge black hanging. When I move camera forward, it disappears. I can take a screenshot to make it more clear.

Also, survivalists somehow manage to see and shoot through walls. That was a not so pleasant surprise.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:39:29 AM by Daithi »

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: Construction site - visual artifacts
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 10:22:53 AM »
Hi Chabbrick, Happy New Year!

Can you take a screen shot of it? The problem with shooting through walls is an easy one to fix. If memory serves, I've already fixed one of the maps. If I know which construction map it is, I'll be able to fix it up quick. Those new maps were the first I've made in a few months, so I'd forgotten some of the steps. In this case, I've just tagged the walls incorrectly.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 07:32:27 PM »
I made a mistake with some of the walls I placed in the levels for V11, which accounts for enemies being able to shoot through them. Currently working my way through the levels from V11 and fixing them. Not seeing any artifacts, so if you get a chance, please take a screen and that may furnish a clue.

I have heard of some problems with volumetric lights on Mac, but if you haven't had trouble with them other levels, there's no reason why they should be problematic in the new levels.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 08:07:56 PM »
I've check through the new levels - the issues were only with the 2 construction sites levels. These have now been fixed. Thanks for the heads up, Chabbrick!

ushas

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 10:45:28 PM »
I think that 'huge black hanging' Chabbrick mentioned is what happens to me on several maps with their night variants, using linux build v14 here.

It's better when zoomed out. And the issue goes away when I turn off Volumetric Spotlights in the performance menu.

Scenes (night ones) I know of: the scene where we first meet Ray Case (lampions), the slum construction site, slum garage (the lights inside buildings).

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 12:47:36 PM »
Thanks for the info, ushas. I thought the volumetic spots might be the issue on non windows. The code I'm using for this was created by a unity staff member, and isn't officially supported by unity, so not sure I'll be able to do anything with this one. Will take a look at the map to see if there's anything obvious that pops out though. It's good to know it's linked to volumetric, cheers.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 12:49:53 PM by Daithi »

ushas

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 08:50:23 PM »
Another map with the black issue: ChinaTownGraveyard1

This one also looks like connected to lampions similarly as the map with Ray Case. I don't remember encountering this on other graveyard maps.

Well obviously as temporary solution you can turn off vol. spot. by default for non-win systems and perhaps add a note with warning to its description, later on? It for sure doesn't happen on every night map to me.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Construction site - visual artifacts
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 10:48:18 AM »
Yeah, I should have disabled the spotlights for non win in V15. I'll get this done for V15.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: [Fix Req] Construction site - visual artifacts
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 10:39:14 AM »
Have updated tooltip and volumetric spots should be disabled by default for Linux/Mac, though this setting can be overridden by player. Haven't tested it yet on Linux/Mac, but will on testing phase.