Author Topic: Feedback - Tactical Re-Positioning seems pointless  (Read 4986 times)

Nomad

Feedback - Tactical Re-Positioning seems pointless
« on: January 25, 2017, 01:04:44 PM »
I could have sworn that someone brought this up already, but I couldn't find it when I did a search.

Tactical Re-Positioning as it stands now seems almost useless (in my opinion, obviously).
I don't use it at all any more. I tried using it a bit, but as it's only 1 space, the characters just get in each other's way and moving 1 space seems pretty pointless on the maps I've seen so far.
I'm not sure what the benefit is supposed to be. I had assumed it was just one free square of movement toward whatever cover you were going to sprint to anyway. But, the characters get in each other's way, so all I really end up doing is a re-shuffle that doesn't improve anything. Now I just ignore the feature completely.
I bumped up Leadership a lot, but it was still just one square of movement. I just don't get it.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: Feedback - Tactical Re-Positioning seems pointless
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 11:06:02 AM »
I agree, it's not particularly useful with 1 square, but it will increase up to 5 as you increase your bypass skill. I'll have a look at lowering the requirements per tile. Thanks for the feedback!

ushas

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 11:34:59 PM »
So as I understand it the chance to re-position for the whole party is based on the highest bypass. Then if that was success, will the number of squares when reposisitioning each character individually take into account his own bypass skill (so each party member has  different number of squares to move), or the highest in the party again?

A few minor additional comments:

On the reposition interface: Is it possible to map the "Skip" button to "End Turn" key; and "End" button to "Esc"?

Can clicking on the portrait on the bypass interface center on the character as well?

If the reachable tile during re-positioning offers cover the game doesn't display the shield icon as normally would during combat.

But the more I think of it, the more features would be useful during that phase (like seeing enemy tooltips, etc). So I have more like the opposite question - have you considered to restrict units to certain actions during their turn? I'm not sure, maybe that's already in. I can imagine the bypass phase to be just the normal (zero) turn with APs derived from the bypass skill, and only the movement action being allowed. So besides that it would have the normal turn functionality. You can tell enemies to just skip that.

Also if you are able to restrict certain actions it opens up other possibilities. For example, perhaps something like action specific stuns: eg. if landed crit when targeting legs the target will be forbidden to use his APs to move for the next turn, and conversely when crit while targeting arms it will only allow to use APs for the movement and nothing else...

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 02:05:07 PM »
Yes, you've got it. Repositioning is checked against highest party skill, individual movement determined by each character's skill. This will increase in time up to around 5 tiles.

Will look at key  mapping. I'm going to map a good few keys in an upcoming update, so will do them all at same time. I'll see about centering, if can be done quickly but I think the camera should mostly start on player team. I'll look into that issue with cover not being displayed - I think this relates to avoiding a bug caused by a process which hasn't happened yet.

There are status effect from targetted effects, they reduce AP (legs) and CTH (arms), but they may need to be scaled up. Cheers for suggestions!

ushas

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 02:18:16 AM »
Yes, I'm aware of those. The suggestions were for what happens when you land a critical hit to legs and hands, if it's possible to make it stand out, a kind of critical versions of shaky hands and hamstrung status effects, instead of more damage. I'm not sure how and whether the targeting choice influences crit chances, or the way the criticals behave.

Ah I see, I like the idea. Will add it to the list, cheers!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:25:40 AM by Daithi »

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 11:26:30 AM »
Whoops, I modified your topic rather than quoting it - sorry! Like the idea of this will add it to the list!