Author Topic: [Resolved] Map issues: china town (v14)  (Read 4555 times)

usha

[Resolved] Map issues: china town (v14)
« on: March 23, 2017, 02:41:56 AM »
Some issues with china town:
-- I cannot see the silhouette for a character hidden under red & white canopy (while the other iron-plate canopies in this map are silhouette-transparent)
-- all buildings doesn't fit with the grid. Surrounding tiles are positioned too deep into the buildings and it also seems above the ground level of those structures. So when a character is at the corner you also see that his hands are in the building before shooting (see img in attachment).
-- the same issue as above for at least one of the boxes  near dustbin
-- a dustbin object has some of the shield icons assigned wrongly inside
-- one of the map road endings has textures not fitting well together and on one side there is also some blue light artifact

Btw. in the file Player.log there is some debug info dumped. And according to that it seems that this map's designation could be 'ChinaTown2'. I guess there are more china towns.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 02:59:44 PM by Daithi »

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: Map issues: china town (v14)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 02:59:30 PM »
Thanks Usha. I've fixed the issue with the canopy, and the dustbin. The blue line is the line renderer, used to drawn paths, so I've repositioned this, so it starts out of sight.

Preventing any clipping whatsoever or small imperfections on maps is unfortunately going to be very difficult and time consuming. This stems from the fact two layers exist, an underlying, tile based data layer and a visual layer comprised of 3d objects. There are quite a few nuances to making these layers decent approximations of one another and it becomes increasingly time consuming, the better the approximation is. I'll definitely fix any errors I have made in mapping the 3d layer onto the data layer (like in your park example), but smaller examples of clipping are going to be harder to manage.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:01:41 PM by Daithi »

ushas

Re: [Resolved] Map issues: china town (v14)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 09:46:26 PM »
Yeah, after looking at more maps I realized there is more to the clipping. As a player I don't mind imperfections at all unless it influences gameplay. However, I cannot talk for the others as some side effects might influence how players perceive the level of polish. So for example, the corners of buildings and other rectangular objects make me think. I mean when pointing at an enemy party members aim inside of the wall and knocked down units also have parts of their bodies inside those corners. It's also possible to do some tricks, like making everybody who is knocked down near those objects always fall in the directions away from them. Or just turn around but not show an aiming animation when it's in the direction of the wall in front of the unit. But you would have better ideas.   

I think the mentioned dustbin object has the same bug on other maps, am I right to assume by fixing the issue you've fixed it automatically across all instances?

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 03:11:47 PM »
I agree, it might effect how some players perceive the game, but I think there's a reasonable level of tolerance for it. I suspect people who play TB RPGs would usually prefer more gameplay depth and content than a very high level of polish. Have seen similar map imperfections in games with budgets in the millions and clipping in AAA cutscenes. There is code in place to minimise KO characters going through objects - though it seems there are some errors with it and will take another look if at all possible. The first area I'll probably polish is UI - not happy with how many of the screens look.

In newer maps it should update, but due to the way I set up older maps, it's a manual job.

ushas

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 01:41:32 AM »
There is code in place to minimise KO characters going through objects - though it seems there are some errors with it and will take another look if at all possible.
hm, in case it would help somehow so far I saw it the most visibly obvious at some corners, like in the case of the statue with a horse, or one of the corners at the back of the bar building, or seeing a half of the body inside corner of a square object with a tree. But indeed it seems only like a graphical issue, I don't remember bags being there.