Author Topic: [Resolved] Linux: Wandering camera  (Read 3801 times)

ushas

[Resolved] Linux: Wandering camera
« on: March 31, 2017, 11:12:13 PM »
There is a bug which haunts linux Unity builds (I'm not sure about Mac) for some time. The issue is that on the map loading the camera travels to the left bottom corner. So I see conversation or tactical re-positioning dialogue, but the camera is off. To the corner traveling also triggers when using print screen and alt+tab to jump out of the game.

Similar issue in case of Wasteland 2:
https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11412

And Pillars of Eternity:
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/75538-bug-reportlinux-screen-not-centering-on-party-after-area-change/

In those game we had to be either ready to center at the party back each time, or we could opt out from using "edge scrolling" option for the issue to go away. In Vigilantes there is no such option in the settings of the v14 build to confirm this, but I'm quite certain it's the same problem. So you can imagine my happiness when finding out that I can click on portraits to center on characters:) Albeit it's reacting slowly to my taste, but much better at getting back than the scrolling of eternity.

As it's probably Unity related and developers of the mentioned games didn't follow up with fixes nor further explanations, I'm not sure how much you can do here (read practically). Perhaps you can try to reinforce on party centering when / after the tactical re-positioning dialog is triggered, and likewise for the scene of initial conversation.

In case none go arounds are possible, two points I can think of to minimize the impact:
a) A toggle for mouse "edge scrolling" in the options menu;
b) Camera enhancements in general, especially faster reaction times and camera centering shotcuts (eg. center on active character, '~' or '\' key, but anything will work).

As for rare moments when the traveling doesn't trigger, I think, in agreement with observations of others, that it sometimes relates to mouse being (rapidly) moved during loading screen shortly before the map is loaded.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 02:29:21 PM by Daithi »

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: Linux: Wandering camera
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 07:42:34 PM »
Wasn't aware of this - will add option to disable mouse scrolling - cheers!

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: Linux: Wandering camera
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 02:29:09 PM »
This has been taken care of.