Author Topic: [Resolved] Game effectively reset on NPC recruit mission  (Read 8543 times)

Nomad

[Resolved] Game effectively reset on NPC recruit mission
« on: April 07, 2017, 09:08:24 AM »
Hey there.
I downloaded and started v15 from scratch (no save games were available, probably because I uninstalled v14 after installing).

I created my character, did loads of surveillance and built up my gear and crew.
After lots of surveillance I discovered Elena and then Emilia. I crafted vests for everyone and updated Emila's gun. Overall I was doing well and building up nicely.

After doing surveillance on almost three quarters of the map I found Ray. I started the mission and had a Mafia guy flee. While I was chasing him down, Ray died. It asked me if I wanted to start from Home Base and I said yes.
Now I'm back at level 1 with no equipment, upgrades or team members.
It's effectively taken me back to right after character creation.

I was expecting a mission restart. Or, if Ray dies, I was expecting to continue without him.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:18:57 PM by Daithi »

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: Game effectively reset on NPC recruit mission
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 11:45:13 PM »
Aww crap. Sorry about your progress. Could you load the autosave? Made a lot of changes to mission outcomes in this update, obviously some logic error in those conditions. Thanks for the report. This will definitely be fixed in V16.

Nomad

Re: [Fix Required] Game effectively reset on NPC recruit mission
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 03:45:30 AM »
I just jumped back in to give it another go... and there was only one save available.
It was an auto-save.
It is the one from the beginning, just after character creation.

I had a look in options to see if there were any auto-save options... and I can't see any.

Edit:
I'm looking at this auto-save (the only one available).
I have my crafted armour and the first 6 districts still had their surveillance information.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 03:50:23 AM by Nomad »

ushas

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 04:00:25 PM »
Tried to replicate this (including fled enemy thing) with Emilia's mission using v15 linux build. So far it seemed work well - there was only restart from home option and then didn't lost any levels nor equipment. So perhaps this is just Ray specific issue?

Do I understand it right that it makes a pre-mission autosave and then returns to that? cause I can do her mission again the same way... (was testing this by erasing all saves before clicking on return home the next time and by this broke the game, hehe)

Nomad

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 03:20:31 AM »
The auto-save I had didn't include the other two team members that I had previously picked up. I'm also reasonably sure I did a mission or two with them before I found Ray.

The auto-save might have been from before my first mission as I had armour crafted, but still had the starting gun and was first level.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 02:28:52 PM »
Auto save happens prior to launching each mission. Will try to replicate the issue with Ray Case.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 02:33:09 PM »
On first try, am unable to recreate the problem. Will try again. If anyone manages to recreate, let me know what the steps are.

ushas

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 10:27:35 PM »
I assumed that it's an autosave issue, so tried a couple of tests with that. It's actually not hard to break, at least not with the linux build v15. The following issues might not be what happened to Nomad exactly but perhaps related somehow:
  • After spending skill and stat points in char. creation, and after letting Sam to be defeated on the first mission with Doc, it offers to retry the initial mission. However, the char. creation choices are not saved. it restarts the mission without points distributed. It's easy to re-add those 7 stat points after the bypass turn (though may have lower chances to re-position), but you loose initial 15 skill points, as those can be distributed only during char. creation.

Suggestions: Either make an autosave right after char. creation and load from that. Or allow us to go back to char. creation -> actually kicking back to the main menu does practically that.

• Based on a few tries I would say the game doesn't make an autosave when we go on ally's mission. Restart from home would load the autosave from the last regular mission, if there was any. Meaning I can easily break the game by going first into one of the ally-intro missions after character creation, and letting the corresponding party member die.

• According to the lines in Player.log it says that the game tries to find only Autosave folder. Problem is if there is none, the point above applies even when I have my own saves from before (tested). I cannot load any save unless killing the process and launching the game again.

Suggestion: in case there isn't any Autosave folder the game shows normal load screen or goes back to main menu?

Nomad

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 01:03:26 PM »
I must have had some kind of auto-save issue... because I played several missions (plus I had picked up both female team members) BEFORE doing the Sam mission.
Theoretically I should have had auto-saves from any one of those missions (not to mention there should have been one before the Sam mission).

Do you have any ETA on the next version release?
Do you need me to start a new game again and just check if it auto-saves correctly before each mission?

I did notice on that last game I played that wouldn't let me start a new mission, there was a current auto-save for that game.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 11:12:52 AM »
@Ushas - well spotted concerning the auto saves. I'm pretty sure that's how I'd set it up, (and subsequently forgotten) with no autosave before ally missions. Good suggestions, will look at this for V16.

@Nomad - In the region of 3 weeks, I'd say. No need to restart, but would be curious if you just did the ally missions in a row, without doing other missions, as combined with Ushas' observations, that would explain the problem.

ushas

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 10:22:36 PM »
Hm, I thought that the issue reported by Nomad is actually that Sam brought girls with him on one or two regular non-ally missions before going after Ray? So one would expect the last autosave having some party members already.

In case I didn't misunderstand:
Nomad, do you remember anything specific about those regular missions with girls?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 10:24:31 PM by ushas »

Nomad

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 09:11:00 AM »
I don't remember anything specific.
I think I did one or two Cultist missions before I found Sam.

Something definitely glitched somewhere as there should have been any number of auto-saves before Sam's mission.

Just chalk it up to me breaking things. That happens when I get near computers.

Nomad

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 04:48:54 PM »
Ok. This happened again.

I was pushing forward on my Hero play through. I finally found Elena. The survivalists were hitting for around 15 while I was shooting them for about 8. Elena had 15 health and got hit in the round before I was going to heal her. She went down and the game told me I'd failed and I had the home button. I clicked that and it went to the autosave which was 40 minutes before.

I assume the autosave was from before my last mission played (the mission before I found Elena).

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 08:10:22 PM »
Will try to give this attention in this update. Guessing I removed the auto save on ally missions as a provisional solution to prevent ally duplication and then forgot about it. Shouldn't be a problem to fix.

Nomad

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 03:25:01 AM »
Awesome.
And that's why we're here.   =D