Author Topic: Surveillance interface suggestion  (Read 3882 times)

Nomad

Surveillance interface suggestion
« on: April 08, 2017, 04:58:59 AM »
I like the Operation Debriefing screen when something comes up for surveillance.
However, I find it a little clunky going forwards and backwards between it and the city map. Not to mention that I've started a mission by accident because the star mission button pops up and I was used to hitting the end button to do surveillance.

Ok... I have two suggestions (it was one until I remembered accidentally starting the mission).
Firstly, I understand that you can't start a mission until you have intel on who is controlling the sector. May I suggest that the begin mission button exists as a greyed out option until it is ready. That way the interface doesn't change (and cause me to get nervous about what buttons might change between screens).

Secondly, like I said, I like the Operation Debriefing screen, but bouncing forward and back between the city screen is a little jarring.
May I suggest adding the Surveillance and Launch Mission buttons to the Operation Debriefing screen? That way we can focus on an area until we want to leave.
If you're going to add buttons to the Operation Debriefing screen, then I'd suggest the same buttons as on the city screen (in the same order), as well as the "Return to City Map" button that already exists.

A third suggestion. The icon to return to the city map on the Operation Debriefing screen doesn't seem very intuitive. It looks like a Return Home button (I understand that it's a building that's meant to represent the city).
Can you get someone to make a Base icon? Then use that throughout as the return to base button (rather than the current swoop arrow on the map screen). Then the swoop arrow can be the Back button and any time a button takes you out to the base, use the Base icon so it's clear.

ushas

Re: Surveillance interface suggestion
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 09:45:47 AM »
Secondly, like I said, I like the Operation Debriefing screen, but bouncing forward and back between the city screen is a little jarring. May I suggest adding the Surveillance and Launch Mission buttons to the Operation Debriefing screen? That way we can focus on an area until we want to leave.
Practically in agreement on the notions. Though I would say the more effective would be to initially stay for the whole surveillance process on the city screen (the info in the right section is essentially the same now), in case one decides not to go on a mission on this tile. And if the new level of intel being unlocked is desired to be noticed - something like a simple lightening up or blinking the icon outline for a moment can also suffice (plus a sound effect). So only after selecting the start mission (aka next) it gets us to the Operation Debriefing screen as a sort of pre-mission summary and confirmation.

Perhaps in future, Daithi would also want to put somewhere there an operation objective info?

A third suggestion. The icon to return to the city map on the Operation Debriefing screen doesn't seem very intuitive. It looks like a Return Home button (I understand that it's a building that's meant to represent the city).
Yeah, consistency would be good. But there is also this map icon already.
-> a map icon to be used as return to the city map?
-> a home icon for return to the base?