Author Topic: [Resolved] Graphical glitch - DowntownMed5 - City map overlaid above the ground  (Read 8964 times)

Nomad

Again, sorry if someone's already reported this.

The city map is floating above the ground.
Things like the movement grid can only be seen when viewed at certain angles.

I suspect (just an opinion) that an object on or near the ground might have the wrong graphic. Just a guess.

Map: DowntownMed5/config2
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:26:56 PM by Daithi »

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Whoops! You can temporarily fix this by pressing "g". What's happened here is I've left the grid used for laying out the maps active - will add in code to disable this automatically outside the Unity editor.

Nomad

lol.... awesome.
Next time I get it (I've had it a few times now) I'll try the g key.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Or you just pretend that the characters are giants, stomping around the city map :) #undocumentedFeature

ushas

We are getting a toy carpet! My nephew is having one of these.
(also happens on other configurations of that map)

Next time I get it (I've had it a few times now) I'll try the g key.
Oho. Try it also on other maps ;)
That grid is sick, well done, Daithi!

Just a minor thing: seems that moving with the camera changes how it's drawn? See attached pictures - it looks either like under or above the reachable tiles coloration... I prefer the distinct above-like look.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Yeah, you're right on the issue with camera angle. Need to have a look at adjusting the positions, or the shaders to force the grid to be on the top.

ushas

Have you also considered to make the reachable tiles highlight a grid-like itself? I would like it better, not sure if others though. Just for illustration:

Wait a minute. Isn't DowntownMed5 a recursive mission challenge? You cannot flee the mission and have no access to Loot & Leave, instead you have to choose to go into one of the districts on the floor. Only one of them (randomly chosen) leads out of recursion, so choose carefully. All the others lead to the next recursive mission and so forth. No save-scumming of course. So if you are lucky it takes you 2 missions to get out, if not theoretically up to infinite, practically earlier once all the party members die...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 11:41:02 PM by ushas »

Nomad

Recursive mission challenge?

Each time I've played it (if I recall correctly), it's been a Survivalist fleeing map. I kill everyone and then loot them and interrogate a survivor.

Is the Recursive mission challenge a thing or a suggestion?

ushas

A thing of my night-imagination. Apologies for misinformation. Would like it as an easter egg indeed (<1% to get), but the amount of coding and testing (needed to be sure it's a true recursion) doesn't warrant take it seriously... 

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Have you also considered to make the reachable tiles highlight a grid-like itself? I would like it better, not sure if others though. Just for illustration:

It does provide more information that way. Think it would look bad if used with regular grid. I wonder how necessary a grid beyond movement range is?

Wait a minute. Isn't DowntownMed5 a recursive mission challenge? You cannot flee the mission and have no access to Loot & Leave, instead you have to choose to go into one of the districts on the floor. Only one of them (randomly chosen) leads out of recursion, so choose carefully. All the others lead to the next recursive mission and so forth. No save-scumming of course. So if you are lucky it takes you 2 missions to get out, if not theoretically up to infinite, practically earlier once all the party members die...

Ha :) Totally an #undocumentedfeature

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Recursive mission challenge?

Each time I've played it (if I recall correctly), it's been a Survivalist fleeing map. I kill everyone and then loot them and interrogate a survivor.

Is the Recursive mission challenge a thing or a suggestion?

Sounds like a groundhog day scenario? Is Sam adrift in time?

Daithi

• Global Moderator
It probably won't look bad if kept at the same height, though there could be z competition (textures competing to be considered top, dependent on camera angle). Without this, it adds another constraint: height of walkable tile must be same as grid or multiple line sets visible. Will think about it.

ushas

Must be the highlight texture monolithic? I mean it can be selectively fully transparent around the lines where the grid will be. That way it also has a grid like look on its own as the grid is made from the floor below. But for all I don't have any knowledge the transparent part may still compete with the grid in the code. Yeah, so this is probably silly.

Nomad

If you're seriously considering adding the extra grid information... can't you just make the Z axis on it be higher than any small height differences, like gutters?
That way it also wouldn't flicker (Z axis competition) against the movement spaces.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
It's something to think about. The initial error has been fixed and will have a proper look at the grid in upcoming updates - doing a quick sweep on bugs prior to launching V17.