Author Topic: Suggestion - Interrogation and city map grid reference  (Read 4720 times)

Nomad

Suggestion - Interrogation and city map grid reference
« on: May 07, 2017, 01:48:44 PM »
Unless I'm missing something, the interrogations give you info on a grid reference, but the city map doesn't use/show those co-ordinates.

I was even given info on something like area 4.0, 6.0 and I counted 4 across and 6 down and it wasn't the faction they said. So I tried 4 down and 6 across and it still wasn't the faction they said.
I'm guessing that the grid is an array and the top corner is actually 0,0 (I started at 1,1).

I also expect that you are aware and haven't implemented it fully yet (we're testing the Interrogation mechanic initially).
I have seen the effect of interrogation as I've found grids where I knew something like the wealth, but didn't know the piece of info before it.
It adds something to the mix.

Edit: In case it wasn't clear... my suggestion is to have the city map labelled (which I assume was the original idea anyway, whether by grid or name).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 05:19:08 AM by Nomad »

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: Suggestion - Interrogation and city map grid reference
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 11:55:36 AM »
Yeah, it doesn't display them now, but I'll fix it so it does in next update. Hoping to name them, but have been putting it on the long finger until the layout and size of the map is closer to final. You're right on the data structure - it's a 2D list, and the top left corner is 0,0.

The order in which info is revealed might be mixed up - it basically picks a tile and reveals the next piece of info on it, raising the intel level just above the required level to get the information. Gang is most basic, then danger level, and I think it should be crime rate and then wealth (though it's difficult to decide which of these is the most valuable). Might have the order of wealth and crime rate panels mixed up - will investigate.

Nomad

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 03:12:21 PM »
No worries. I assumed you had it covered.

I definitely had info with a blank in it (I had pieces 1,2 and 4, but not 3).

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 03:16:59 PM »
Good to know - I'll move this into bugs and have a look at it!

ushas

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 05:16:54 PM »
A good point. Yeah having coordinates on the cityscape would be useful. Could be both name + coors.
Intel out of order happened to me too. See the pic. Does this actually break anything?

Was also meaning to ask why single digit decimal precision is given? Can we get into any (3.5,3.6) place or so?
Because otherwise it would be neat if the coordinates are presented to the players similar to the chessboard notation... Checkmate to the mafia king on g5. 8)

(it's also easier to remember, and harder to mix up which coordinate is which in general)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 05:19:00 PM by ushas »

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 05:33:46 PM »
I'm sold on district name + coordinates. Alphabetical for one axis, numerical for other is a good call for clarity.

Shouldn't break anything - think the UI order isn't correct, will have a look.

I think that's just the formatting on the string, easy fix.