Author Topic: [Attention!] Suggestion - Turn off A.I. using medpacks on Danger level 1 areas  (Read 5022 times)

Nomad

When we're starting out, it takes so long to damage enemies.
It's a little frustrating wearing them down, just to have them heal up while their mates keep pounding on us.

Perhaps have them not use medpacks in the early game or something.
The problem with my suggestion is that it's really beneficial for them to still CARRY medpacks. Dropping them as loot is the only thing that keeps me alive. I expect that it would be problematic for the A.I. to ignore their inventory.

Either way, just a suggestion based on my frustration.  =)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:05:35 PM by Daithi »

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: Suggestion - Turn off A.I. using medpacks on Danger level 1 areas
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 08:02:33 PM »
Hmm, changing the AI based on danger level is a really good idea.

ushas

Vary the AI across difficulties, gangs, ranks, specializations, morale, danger, time and based on how the player is faring -> a great idea
Obviously cripple AI behavior [on higher difficulties] -> not good

Why people play higher difficulties? I don't know, don't have any solid answer. But if I would guess they want some challenge to overcome. Not many things will leave a sour taste in the mouth more than after the hard earned victory finding out that I'm looting 10 medpacks, none of them used in the battle...

But yeah, AI is there to stoke our egos anyway, it's just the obvious part - that it's forbidden to use the same tools as we - about which I would be rather cautious. So varying weights of actions across difficulties and danger levels might result fine, but turning off completely not so sure. There isn't anything to indicate you're making such restrictions though. So I'm just musing aloud.

If I may a guess: it's not the healing on its own what makes Nomad frustrated, but that the battles take too long. Am I right?

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Would like to hear from Nomad on this too. Battle length is something I've tried to work on a few times. For the most part, it's been on speeding up animations, and cutting out dead time. Not sure how much more can be done, but interested to hear thoughts on pacing. Have started thread.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 08:41:55 AM by Daithi »

ushas

Just for danger level 1 - it's likely that there will be a larger range of danger levels going forward. You think it's a bad idea?
Yes. My opinion hadn't changed.

Do I understand correctly: they have Trauma Kits yet are forbidden to use them? Why would they have it then?

Btw. I've seen Survivalist heal normally on Danger 1 tiles (v18 Vigilante difficulty here).

Regarding danger levels - does a larger range means less steep differences or are you planning some bigger changes?

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Current thinking is that danger level 1 tiles are good for early game experience, but are non threatening later on - so it makes them easier to attack early and quicker to finish later. May modify this to change the chance to heal based on danger level, so they have increasing liklihood to heal on more dangerous tiles. Considering it - it would mostly come to less steep differences - with things like rackets & boss fights having higher ratings. Open to suggestions, though.

Nomad

Rather than make them less likely to use them... can you make it so that they don't get med kits if it's a Danger 1 and Wealth 1 tile? At Danger 1 and Wealth 1, they just don't get them because they're not important enough.

Probably not possible, but could the chance of med kits be increased in the after-mission loot?
They are in a Danger level 1 area and don't expect to be attacked. They might have med kits, but they left them in the car.

ushas

Yeah, that was the notion - shouldn't have any if can't use. You have this robust equipment tier system. And it looks like can add some simple conditions on the battle loading to adjust their gear according to tile parameters etc. Even their rate of healing can be simply adjusted by how many med kits are in inventory (eg. # = danger - 1, so there is none on danger 1 if no healing is desired, or can lower from what's given by the gear tier). Naturally, the AI adjustments can be more nuanced, but it seems to me a complication for such thing. Of course, this is just me guessing.

Probably not possible, but could the chance of med kits be increased in the after-mission loot?
They are in a Danger level 1 area and don't expect to be attacked. They might have med kits, but they left them in the car.
Sounds nice, but I think disagree. Sorry:/
Their low danger equals low risk to us -> should be low reward. Not the opposite. We probably won't use many med kits ourselves in the battle anyway.