Author Topic: [Resolved] Can't move or shoot in opening sequence  (Read 9648 times)

Nomad

[Resolved] Can't move or shoot in opening sequence
« on: June 25, 2017, 03:47:10 AM »
Darn it... sorry... broke it straight away.  =(

I started. I've been fighting and moving around. The female enemy healed (but has been hit again since).

I can't move. It's not even drawing the movement lines.
I can't shoot. It's not even giving me target information.
I can't punch. It's still not giving me target info.

It let me reload... but... the AP indicator is showing the 4 yellow squares that would be reserved for the shot I wanted to take.
The correct enemy portrait flashes when I put my cursor over them. I do not get target info.

It did let me end the turn, but then I was in the same position as above. Can't move or attack.
Then I discovered that I can't heal either (which makes sense as I can't act).

Above image shows that it's not drawing the path line for movement.
Note: The AP indicator is still showing the 4 AP reserved for the shot I was going to take with the gun.

Above image shows no target information. Correct enemy portraits flash when the cursor is over them.

Above image shows that I managed to get some target information... unfortunately it's for my own character. Correct enemy portrait was flashing while it gave me Sam's targeting information.

Ok.... so I can switch gear. I can access my inventory.
Ahh... it reduces my movement range, but my AP hasn't changed.

Above image shows my movement radius decreased (from swapping items in and out of my bag), but the AP indicator at the bottom is still showing full AP. Note that this screenshot was after I ended my turn, which is why the woman moved and the guy smacked me for minor damage. The enemy is not affected.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:00:27 AM by Daithi »

Nomad

Re: Can't move or shoot in opening sequence
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 03:57:25 AM »
I ended turn again. I figured I'd let them bash me and see what happened when I died. They both missed their attacks.
Now... I have their targeting information... but I still can't move or shoot.

Interesting... The correct AP is being shown in my inventory screen (top-right of Sam's portrait). See below:

Correct AP showing in inventory above, but in the game screen it's still showing all eight AP as green.

I switched back to a gun and the targeting information was no longer being shown again. Movement and pathing is still not available.

Ended turn again. I get target info if I switch to fists. None when I have gun.
I still can't punch them though. And I can't switch punch modes (assuming there are any other punch modes in the first scenario).

Buttons work.
Left or Right-clicking on the portraits works (brings the camera focus back).
End Turn works.
Reload works.
Changing incapacitate to kill works.
Entering inventory or character screen works.

Clicked the top-right surrender/flee button and nothing happened. I assume that there isn't a flee zone for the opening scenario, so that makes sense.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 04:09:42 AM by Nomad »

Nomad

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 04:15:52 AM »
I let them beat me senseless and it let me reload.

Problem with the reload is that it gave me all my skill points and stat points back but didn't give me a chance to spend them.
Skills can't be added during the fight. It did let me increase my stats.
This could be fixed by a quick auto-save after character creation (as the mission starts).

Ok... it let me run through the scenario this time... HOWEVER... when I finished and was back at base... I no longer have my starting skill points available to spend (so I missed out). All my skills are at 24 except Firearms, which is at 26 due to the fight.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 04:21:44 AM by Nomad »

ushas

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 03:26:40 AM »
Yeah, that's known issue, it lets you restart scenario but forgets the character created. Better start over at that point? My feeling is, though, that once Daithi implements skill points allocation possible for allies, this may as well be ok as will be able to reassign the points... 

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 10:45:19 AM »
I added code to lock the input, so mouseover wouldn't break animations when strafing, but it seems that it's not being unlocked again in some situations. Managed to get through quite a few hours of testing without this happening, but this is a priority bug. Need to figure out what these are and it should be good. Allowing skill point allocation would be a good way to deal with this loading issue, but there's still the issue with the lack of saving before meeting an ally that needs to be tackled.

Nomad

Re: [Fix Req] Can't move or shoot in opening sequence
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 11:33:26 AM »
Is it an issue to do a save just before a mission starts?
I assume there's a problem with that, otherwise you'd have done it already.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 11:53:42 AM »
If it's a regular save, it would start from home UI, which would require more code for launching first mission. For the allies missions, I think the lack of saving was an quick way around duplicating them. Pretty sure there are workable solutions for both.

ushas

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 07:14:09 AM »
You don't need autosaving the first mission. Chances are, if the player failed, he may want to try something different? So offering to kick back to the character creation or simply to the main menu might be even favorable.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 12:19:41 PM »
Yeah, makes sense. I'm all for cutting a gordian knot :)

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 01:50:32 PM »
I've added keycodes to enable input as a temporary measure until the causes are understood. If you experience this problem, it would be a big help if you could note what actions you took, when the input became locked, and whether the last active character was player or criminal, and which button worked to enable input.

Y: Enables input - best to do this first
U: Removes input lock - next step

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 02:45:12 PM »
Following on: found one condition where input was not being re-enabled, when firing a shot against a specific body part. This is fixed, but given the number of possible outcomes from the input system, it's possible that there are more instances.

@Nomad: Do you remember if you were making targetted shots when this happened?

Nomad

Re: [Confirm Fix] Can't move or shoot in opening sequence
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 02:50:52 AM »
I do remember. I wasn't making a targeted shot (I've forgotten the key to use).

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 01:31:37 PM »
Thanks! There are other factors then, hopefully they will become apparent soon.

It's Left-Shift - really need to work on keyboard support.

Nomad

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 03:20:11 PM »
heh heh... I was trying things like the T key.
Isn't it in the options screen? If it can be rebound, then I could have just gone there and looked it up.  =P

ushas

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 09:06:49 AM »
Lazy Nomad! (yes you can)

What if it can't make the CTH estimate? Will a tooltip show?
What if it locks at the shot but then throws an exception? Will it unlock after?