Author Topic: [Resolved] Intermitant movement issue  (Read 5948 times)

Nomad

[Resolved] Intermitant movement issue
« on: June 25, 2017, 08:41:18 AM »
Just to be totally helpful... I've seen a bug happen twice in two separate fights.

First time I went to move Sam in range to punch a fleeing guy. It was at the edge of his movement while still leaving enough for a punch (the edge of the blue-ish movement squares).
Sam moved, then glitched back to where he started and it ended his turn (even though he theoretically had 3 AP left).

Second time was when I was trying to outflank an opponent. I ran to full movement and it glitched and put me back and ended my turn.

Sam has 10 Fleetness, AP Bank and Athletic.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 01:41:18 PM by Daithi »

Nomad

Re: Intermitant movement issue
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 05:37:54 AM »
Ok... I had Ray do it this time.

Went to move him up to punch a guy. Had just enough AP to move and punch. He moved up, then bounced a couple of squares.
Now he has no AP, his turn ended, and he's two squares away from the guy he was supposed to be next to.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: Intermitant movement issue
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 10:18:31 AM »
Thanks for letting me know. This seems to be a new addition. Guessing that some changes made to input might have caused this - will keep an eye out for it - if you happen to figure out a common factor, please let me know.

Nomad

Re: [Fix Req] Intermitant movement issue
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 11:30:12 AM »
Nah... this one's going to be a b!7@# to nail down.
Initially I thought it was going to be something to do with the main character... or something to do with having too many AP...

Nope. Ray has the least AP in my group.
It's happened two or three times with Sam and once with Ray, so clearly it's a common issue now. That should give us a chance to eventually figure it out.

ushas

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 09:00:34 AM »
Having some more data!
First, although a gut feeling hopes it does, I'm unsure how much or if at all relates to events described by Nomad. So please don't hesitate to cut me down to pieces and disperse.

Some common factors:
-- Missions with Mafia in my case (Ray's, Blackmail), but that's possibly just coincidence.
-- Units in HtH mode during movement. It started actually happening more often once switched whole party into HtH. So perhaps factor, but possibly we simply moved more often...

So various things occur:
1) An ally taking less steps than requested in a turn. It can auto-end turn. It's tricky to compare, in the log I may have seen something as if the character was attacking somebody or at least requesting CTH estimation, before reaching destination. Probably nonsense though.

2) An ally taking completely different path than requested. For example, take a look at this picture:

S - Start
X - Requested destination
At the beginning, Sam nicely steps south as requested but then completely changes his mind and eventually ends at the position where we see him at the picture.

3) If there is enough AP (3) an ally can decide attack a nearby enemy (often in combination with taking different path). So just a turn before the Sam's running at loose I've got Elena disobeying simple polite move request in favor of punching the mafioso:

Note, Elena ended slightly displaced on that tile, but there was no problem with this afterwards.

As I play Vigilantes partially as text adventure anyway, as soon as those two above happened, copied the last content from the log regarding their turns. So it's attached in case it helps anything.

Could be wrong, but it seems as if the path finding is initialized correctly in the requested direction at first, and often the first step goes well, but then the game takes the reins and changes orders. As if the AI is at play or so...

I knew I shouldn't have dumped the Leadership!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:02:50 AM by ushas »

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 10:48:28 AM »
I knew I shouldn't have dumped the Leadership!

Ha! Will see if can recreate today. Opponent gang shouldn't matter, but HTH mode may well. Another factor is that you always seem to end up adjacent to an enemy, so wondering if input is still being accepted, and a mouseover on an enemy is causing a new order to be created. Once I can make it happen, it should be easy enough to figure out.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 12:49:32 PM »
Initial testing suggests that my guess on mousing over an enemy during movement generating a new order seems to be correct. Now to fix it...

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 01:40:50 PM »
This is fixed. Don't mouse over any enemies when moving until V18 : ) The code causing this problem was an attempt to solve the intermittent problem with input becoming disabled - this is a difficult one to track down, but will go for a temporary solution until the triggers are understood.

ushas

Re: [Resolved] Intermitant movement issue
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 02:12:30 PM »
You're light-speed fixing today:)
Also thought taking input from mouse-over was the problem, as there are lines in the log that seem to me like the player's input being detected during the movement. However, are you 100% sure that's the sole reason? Why not more concurrent bugs? The more the merrier. Yay!

The thing is even if being always mouse-chaotic without knowing, there are instances, I think, where distances are too big to be even able to mouse-travel there from the target position during movement (more so right at the beginning). It's very fast. My memory and Linux+Unity+mouse combination are untrustworthy though. So don't believe me.

Nomad

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 02:16:38 PM »
Hopefully you've nailed it down and it's sorted for the next version.  =)
An odd one to pop in this late in the game.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 02:28:54 PM »
@ Ushas: The info from yourself and Nomad is a big help in pinning them down. Will spent today atoning for my sins and move on to *shudder* overwatch tomorrow. Not 100% certain (then again, how can one be 100% certain about anything), but the code added the last time is disabled now, and this code applies to all input, so should be good.

@ Nomad: Yeah, agree, it's a pretty fundamental problem. This was caused by an attempt to deal with the intermittent input disabled issue - working on another solution to this now.

ushas

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 04:07:30 PM »
Now realizing, there is also camera movement... I take it all back, it's possible, more so very probable. Sorry, should've mentioned the mouse-over right away. Thankfully, you were fast to pin it anyway.  Mea culpa for asking for 100%. It's indeed inappropriate. I request 200% affirmation this instant!

But this one is actually fun. Almost like as if they were panicking or so:)  Surprise! Then you're like "Damn! What now!?"  Can force a change of plans.

Overwatch?