Author Topic: [Nomad - Can you help?] Enemy not releasing his turn  (Read 31162 times)

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: [Nomad - Can you help?] Enemy not releasing his turn
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2017, 04:24:07 PM »
I might give you the impression that I'm not sure about time played. Might be an idea to go by game calendar instead. You know how much time actions take, so hopefully that will be sufficient.
I would guess I was doing about 4-8 hours a day. I probably did... a bunch of days...
Hmm... I guess the short answer is... I don't really know. Not to mention that there were many lock-ups that required me to kill the game and replay maps.

Edit: Oh... and I love the idea of maybe getting some info via a dialogue encounter.
Either via a skill-based check...
Or... even another one where the dialogue leads to either some info on a lieutenant or a piece of equipment or some cash or something?

Would I be correct that the game never froze up vs survivalists, outside of any potential overwatch bugs? On checking the save file, both Mafia & Churchers had the upgrade that was causing problem, but not survivalists. I'll test the mafia pre and post fix, just to be sure.

Progress is almost certainly too slow, even given 8 hours play. Need to increase the rate at which intel is gained at quite considerably, though it's likely you will encounter first lieutenant without needing intel. Getting info through dialogue encounter will almost certainly happen. Have added code to allow cash, but will also add intel.

Just thought that content - like missions, perks, allies, items, crafting,..., might actually suit EA. To keep people interested with a new stuff... There is always demand for more items. If you add too much now, could have worse position later? To be clear - just musing aloud, totally clueless here.

I'd say that makes sense. Might pull a few of the items from this update :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:26:23 PM by Daithi »

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2017, 06:27:18 PM »
I checked Nomad's save, and the same issue that was present with the churchers was in play with Mafia. Encountered 2 freezes in two levels. Nothing since fixed.

Nomad

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2017, 11:03:45 PM »
Would I be correct that the game never froze up vs survivalists, outside of any potential overwatch bugs?
That sounds about right.
I don't believe I had any issues other than the end-of-turn lockup.

Just thought that content - like missions, perks, allies, items, crafting,..., might actually suit EA. To keep people interested with a new stuff... There is always demand for more items. If you add too much now, could have worse position later? To be clear - just musing aloud, totally clueless here.
I both agree with and dislike this idea. Holding stuff back and trickle-feeding it with each new update might be the way to go so that progress looks steady and solid.
I don't like the idea of holding things back... but perception is a big thing. And besides... it's not like you're holding it back and then charging for it as DLC. That's where I'm getting my negative perception from. So, overall, I think it's a valid suggestion.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2017, 11:28:08 PM »
I both agree with and dislike this idea. Holding stuff back and trickle-feeding it with each new update might be the way to go so that progress looks steady and solid.
I don't like the idea of holding things back... but perception is a big thing. And besides... it's not like you're holding it back and then charging for it as DLC. That's where I'm getting my negative perception from. So, overall, I think it's a valid suggestion.

I guess that's more or less been the way it's been going so far with content, moreso maps and to some extent perks. It's been a while since there were new weapons. Think there are enough items still to add to keep the new ones in the update, though I think the idea of adding new content with every update is sound - part of the idea of removing them was to obviate the need for testing them, to save time, but it's not a huge job.

Am with you on DLC. Pretty much never buy it, though it's existence isn't the sort of thing that would keep me awake at night. If did do something for Vigilantes (and it's unlikely for most possible outcomes) it would be more along the lines of an one shot expansion pack, like the hefty ones of days of yore. None of this "Sam's new balaclava DLC" crap. 

Nomad

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2017, 03:36:25 AM »
lol
Yeah... well.. it also comes down to pricing.
I agree with the old method of Expansions. They were generally worth the money.
DLC is generally overpriced for what it is.

Like, nowadays it would cost $5 for a balaclava skin, new outfit and two new weapons. If you got that for $1, then people might be less inclined to hate on it.

Microtransactions ($1 or less) very quickly turned into macrotransactions ($5+).

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2017, 09:59:01 AM »
In the unlikely event that I did go down the expansion route, would be inclined to expand game mechanics, add a decent variety of new maps, weapons, perks, an ally, and encounters at a reasonable price (maybe around €5). It doesn't seem very likely however.

Nomad

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2017, 03:21:18 AM »
Yeah. I figured this was a stand alone.
Sounds like you already have ideas for another property.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2017, 10:46:15 AM »
Ideas are fairly easy to come by, and development is incredibly slow, so have enough of them to cover a decade of development. The trick will be choosing the right one :)

ushas

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2017, 03:23:23 AM »
The trick will be choosing the right one :)
Abraka random dabra.

Yeah. I understand what you're getting it from. There is a thin line between things to be walked...
One may say it's not the same because Daithi is not holding back from the final version, just prioritizing when its done. But I have a feeling that EA is a sort of final for some. I mean just imagine EA (cheaper) as final release and the other one as definitive edition... Now you can interpret it as holding back for money. Gaming the system is practically required to survive it. One may at least do it respectfully.

My thinking was only theorizing, under two very hypothetical assumptions: if there is a final number of items to be included and if customers always ask for more regardless what's in -> then Daithi may potentially harm his image when adding too much in advance and then refusing the request. On the other hand, the initial release is the most important. Makes sense to maximize with the most gameplay enhancing. In other words, I'm playing with spherical chickens in vacuum.   

Besides DLCs are punishment for weak-willed.

PS: No survivalist left frozen here too.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2017, 10:17:23 AM »
Yeah. I understand what you're getting it from. There is a thin line between things to be walked...
One may say it's not the same because Daithi is not holding back from the final version, just prioritizing when its done. But I have a feeling that EA is a sort of final for some. I mean just imagine EA (cheaper) as final release and the other one as definitive edition... Now you can interpret it as holding back for money. Gaming the system is practically required to survive it. One may at least do it respectfully.

My thinking was only theorizing, under two very hypothetical assumptions: if there is a final number of items to be included and if customers always ask for more regardless what's in -> then Daithi may potentially harm his image when adding too much in advance and then refusing the request. On the other hand, the initial release is the most important. Makes sense to maximize with the most gameplay enhancing. In other words, I'm playing with spherical chickens in vacuum.   

Besides DLCs are punishment for weak-willed.

PS: No survivalist left frozen here too.

Yeah, I haven't deliberately been holding back items. Everything (features, content, tweaking, fixes) is being added in increments. On the content front, maps get the most attention, because they take ages and will feel more at ease when closer to target. Pretty much what ushas is saying, but it would seem like a bad idea to launch with all items, because EA players will have nothing to look forward to on that front.

ushas

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2017, 05:23:37 PM »
Of course, there is a lot to consider, most not visible on outside I guess.

Having a feeling those churchers trying to stab us with pistols, they were onto something after all...
They were developing Pistol Bayonet!

Somebody with a high enough crafting skill...
Having blade as well as pistol weapon modes at close range...

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2017, 05:32:21 PM »
No problem adding it... if you want to make a new set of animations for it :) Just don't forget that new impacts, dodges, and KOs will probably be required. And remember, that different range is required for orth and diagonal tiles. And that it takes almost a full (and very tedious) day to get the timing right for each attack animation to impact / dodge / KO.  #LivingInFearOfGettingAZipFullOfPistolBayonetAnimations
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 05:37:05 PM by Daithi »

ushas

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2017, 08:36:34 PM »
#UnsureHowToDoHashThingButWantedToPutYourMindAtEaseByTellingYouFirstWillGetAZipFullOfPlantingAMineAndExplodingBackpackAnimations

I take the guys hold pistols differently so can't use the ones for knife when doing bladed attacks? Or do you really do different animations for each weapon?
Not that I really care about bayonet item but it sounds interesting what you wrote. I remember you mentioned that this choreography is really tricky.

ushas

« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2017, 12:43:31 PM »
Np then. But in case you're truly worried or anything, I won't do any such thing.

Finally, for some time (from approx like ingame 14 Aug on Vigilante) I was also getting Mafia bugged at close as you described guys. It become tricky to do any mission against those two factions. So I'm battling mostly survivalists now. On yesterday's mission looted "Unarmed" on their lvl2 facility. Had no show stoppers with them, but thought I would rather mention if something.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2017, 01:19:12 PM »
#UnsureHowToDoHashThingButWantedToPutYourMindAtEaseByTellingYouFirstWillGetAZipFullOfPlantingAMineAndExplodingBackpackAnimations

I take the guys hold pistols differently so can't use the ones for knife when doing bladed attacks? Or do you really do different animations for each weapon?
Not that I really care about bayonet item but it sounds interesting what you wrote. I remember you mentioned that this choreography is really tricky.

Noooooooo!

It would need to be tested, but it's very likely that the existing 1H attack animations wouldn't work for a bayonet pistol style attack. There are different sets of attack animations for unarmed, 1H melee & 2H melee. For KO, evade, hit animations, certain animations work for certain equipment types, but tend to cause obvious clipping with others. Very time intensive to avoid clipping and get decent timing from the attack to the response.