Author Topic: AOO: step by step or path by path?  (Read 6738 times)

ushas

AOO: step by step or path by path?
« on: July 30, 2017, 11:55:12 PM »
There is an inconsistency regarding AOO triggers in v18. I'm basing this on what AOO % indicator shows. So in reality it's possible to work differently.

When you choose an automatically drawn path that leads through tiles adjacent to enemies, but there was no enemy next to you at the start, it seems there is no AOO triggering danger. However, if I will undergo the completely same path step-by-step manually the AOO can trigger on each step where it means leaving a tile adjacent to an enemy.

I would say that's a little bit a lot unfair.
Shouldn't it be unified? --> Either only the leaving of the first tile in a turn counts or all adjacent to enemies on the way.     

If may I'd vote for the latter but reserve the right to change my mind. It's a kind of fun to be aware around enemies... We can use that against them too. :)

Another interesting thing is that AOO triggers regardless weapon you have - CC guys use what weapon having at disposal but guys with guns switch to HtH when the AOO is triggered from them. My allies stay in HtH mode afterwards. 

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: AOO: step by step or path by path?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 07:45:16 PM »
It will likely stay per path. Considered it the other way, but it adds complexity, processing cost, and will require more complex pathfinding to avoid AOO.

Yeah, I did that to avoid having the player change to HTH at the end of every turn in order to allow AOO to trigger - that would be an annoying click tax and would slow things down.

ushas

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 09:11:06 PM »
Ok. Thanks for the explanation. If understood correctly, then I must declare at least one bug.

The issue: The game doesn't distinguish if the path is the first one in a turn or not. That creates unintended situation where I can be attacked later in a turn, yet it won't happen on an automatic path. The same for enemies. Normally, they won't trigger AOO later in a turn, but will when stopped by Overwatch in the middle of the movement. Possibly relates to "Enemy Running Animation Won't stop" bug.

Suggestion: Make it so only the beginning of the first path in a turn counts for triggering AOO.

Yeah, I did that to avoid having the player change to HTH at the end of every turn in order to allow AOO to trigger - that would be an annoying click tax and would slow things down.
Indeed, switching back from HtH in case of the AOO trigger is less busywork overall.

Though it poses a question: What will happen if I set an ally with a gun on overwatch, but the AOO from this ally will happen earlier before the overwatch? As the AOO will switch him into HtH, the question is then whether the overwatch remembers the previous gun setup for evaluating the CTH trigger conditions, and also switches for the shot...

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 09:03:04 AM »
Will have a look at that, cheers. The AOO per path, regardless of tiles moved will be kept, however.

Though it poses a question: What will happen if I set an ally with a gun on overwatch, but the AOO from this ally will happen earlier before the overwatch? As the AOO will switch him into HtH, the question is then whether the overwatch remembers the previous gun setup for evaluating the CTH trigger conditions, and also switches for the shot...

Yeah, this is a problem, well caught. Will get to look at it soon.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 11:05:55 AM by Daithi »

ushas

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 08:42:28 PM »
Yeah, this is a problem, well caught. Will get to look at it soon.
For the record, I haven't caught anything (yet, albeit tried, of course), was just considering a possible issue to test. So it's possible there is none.

Suggestion: Would it be possible to remember the prior setup and switch back to that from HtH right after the AOO attack finishes (regardless if there was any overwatching)? The reason is, there is more to it than a click tax (don't get me wrong, clicking is still a sworn enemy). If switching to HtH happens without the player noticing, it's possible he won't re-check the mode and may even accidentally move a ranged unit into a close combat situation.

The AOO per path, regardless of tiles moved will be kept, however.
What do you mean?

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 09:07:41 AM »
It's almost certainly going to be a problem. If it's done when there's an OW pending, it's as easy to do it in all cases. Will see what can be done.

I may be misunderstanding you, but I like the system of giving AOO every time you stop next to an enemy, so if you continually move one tile, there will be more AOO chances.

ushas

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 05:28:05 PM »
Aha! So it's the other way around. Sorry, I got it mixed up.

Then the issue is: Apart the first tile on the path, the automatic pathfinding is not triggering AOO when an unit is leaving a tile adjacent to an enemy. Thus, do I understand right that this needs to be treated to deal with dissonance?

-> Would also mean I was wrong about that AOO shouldn't trigger after Overwatch during events of "Enemy Running Animation Won't stop" bug.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 02:45:34 PM »
I'd really like to dig up that running animation bug. Hopefully I can make it happen prior to releasing V19.