Author Topic: [Resolved] Persistent tooltips of UI elements  (Read 3937 times)

ushas

[Resolved] Persistent tooltips of UI elements
« on: August 22, 2017, 07:53:26 PM »
(v19, linux)

Persistent tooltips saga continues...

It's possible, that you may have this already covered by the last attempt at persistent tooltip fix (no offense meant, I bet those things are tricky to nail down), but the issue isn't only for an enemy turn, so also possibly not fixed yet.

Problem: Persistent tooltips of items and stats and buttons, see attached images for illustration. 

How to reproduce:
    1. When you access inventory or char. screen during a battle.
    2. Mouse-hover over anything there to get a tooltip.
    3. Keep the mouse at the above position.
    4. Escape from the inventory or char. screen back to battle by using [escape | inventory | char. screen] shortcuts.
    5. Observe persistent tooltip. It stays on the screen during your turns as well as enemies'.

An interesting thing is that an item tooltip can be canceled by pointing at the left battle hud elements (eg. reload button) and tooltips from char. screen can be canceled by pointing at the right battle hud elements (eg. Overwatch % buttons). Other than that I can also cancel it by going back to original screen and refocusing the mouse there.

It can be also combined:
    1. Go to inventory, point at something, escape.
    2. Go to char. screen - see the item tooltip persists even here. Point at some stat. Escape.
    3. You have now two tooltips persistent on the battle screen.
And similar.

It's also possible to have the battle tooltips persistent on inventory / char. screens if you access them through inventory / char. shortcuts.
See one of the images.

I think there is an underlying issue of inventory / char. screens not being properly separated from the battle. As opposite to the game menu one. That's also possibly reason why I can get a linux blackout when alt-tabbing from them. I will try to report two more issues to showcase why it's really a problem. Mentioning here just that I suspect if those become more separated, perhaps a tooltips persistent issue may as well go away... But knowing really nothing about interfaces in Unity.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:19:28 PM by Daithi »

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: Persistent tooltips of UI elements
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 12:18:48 PM »
Hey, no worries, report away! This required a separate fix. It's working as intended now. The reason that they close if you hover over another button/label with tooltip is that only 1 tooltip should be visible at once, so a new request closes down all the other ones.

I'll take a look at what's happening differently between the menu and inventory, to see if can find a work around for the linux black screen. I've changed a setting in this update to freeze the game when you tab away, so perhaps that will change the situation.

ushas

Re: Persistent tooltips of UI elements
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 05:29:32 PM »
The reason that they close if you hover over another button/label with tooltip is that only 1 tooltip should be visible at once, so a new request closes down all the other ones.
Ok. The point was only that it wasn't closing when hovering over another button/label with tooltip in battle unless the mentioned combination. But you probably have it already nailed down.

I'll take a look at what's happening differently between the menu and inventory, to see if can find a work around for the linux black screen. I've changed a setting in this update to freeze the game when you tab away, so perhaps that will change the situation.
Sounds promising! 
As for menu vs. inventory from the black screen perspective: the biggest differences seemed to me that in the menu you have no combat camera control and the game is paused. If I go there during turns of enemies, the battle won't proceed while being in the menu, as opposite to inventory / char. sheets.