Author Topic: The Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 30045 times)

Daithi

• Global Moderator
The Introduce Yourself Thread
« on: April 15, 2016, 07:46:56 PM »
Hi,

My name's Daithi, a developer for Timeslip Softworks. I'm 34 and from Ireland. For the last four years or so, I've been working on developing games. It's something I've always wanted to do, but continually talked myself out of until I lost my job, went back to college to study computing, and found that I loved it.

Much to the chagrin of others, I started working on a game the week my final exams for college started, when I should have been studying. This game was a turn based strategy, made in Java, and after 5 months, I had to accept it was too complicated to finish. So, I started learning Unity, switched to c#, and a few months later started working on Deadstone, which took 2 years to finish. Now, I'm back working on another turn based tactical RPG, Vigilantes, (the game development equivalent of a grudge match) which is going much better than the first time around.

Outside game development, I enjoy film, reading, exercise, and also do a little writing.

Exostum

• Exostum
Re: The Introduce Yourself Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 03:54:16 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am 34 and from France.

I beta-tested Deadstone in the old days.

I love Manga and RPG.

(Feel free to ask question about myself, I am not very good at self-introduction.)

I also have Asperger syndrone

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 07:48:51 PM »
Hey Exostum. Welcome back : )

Kolido

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 08:24:54 AM »
Greetings everyone, I'm mid-thirties, originally from Ireland but based in Slovakia for the passed 6 years. I currently work in IT. I've been gaming since the 80's with consoles such as the Spectrum and Atari 2600. I didn't get into PC gaming until more recently. My favorite genre would be FPS and strategy. Today I'm a keen collector of retro systems and games ranging from the NES to the Xbox. Outside of work and gaming, I do some digital art, traditional art, watch movies and sport.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 04:44:08 PM »
Hello Kolido. Welcome!

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 05:39:12 PM »
There have been a few new members recently, so if you'd like to say hello, please do :)

Nighteyes

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 06:57:21 PM »
Sup people!
Names Michael, though Nighteyes will do ;)

I'm 32, beed working for the armed forces for 8 years before deciding to spend 4 years taking an education which I've now spent the last year and a half trying to get a job using without luck.

Looking forward to spending even more time here in the future ^^

Much love to all of you...
And those who don't want it, may death rain on your parade <3

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 07:41:03 PM »
Hey Michael. Nice to see you here - welcome! Thanks for the support on Kickstarter and the feedback!

Nighteyes

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 10:42:33 PM »
Any time mate...
Just throw me a bone and I'll start gnawing ;)

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 12:07:48 AM »
 :)

Don't know if you mind the question, but I'm curious how you found the transition from military to college life? Do you mind me asking what you studied?

Nomad

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 01:55:33 PM »
Hello there.
I'm a long-time gamer (since the Commodore 64 days) and long-time pen-and-paper role-player.

I've been creating my own role-playing game worlds (one Cyberpunk and one Fantasy) since Dungeons and Dragons was deemed satanic at my boarding school in the early '80s (no, I'm not joking).
Now I'm writing a fantasy novel set in my fantasy world, but I still find lots of time for gaming.  =)

Nice to be on board.

Nighteyes

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 01:56:21 PM »
not at all...
Asking is the only way to learn...

It was rough the first year or so...
And I've gotten very fat since then
But once I got out of the old rut, I could settle into a new one...
That was one of the reasons for me making such a big change...
Already had 2 tours of Afghanistan behind me and was fairly certain I wasn't coming back home from a third...

as for what I studied, subjects are a female dog to translate between languages, but it's a branch of finances.
Pretty broad one too...
It qualifies me to become a trainee as Bank advisor, Accountant, Real Estate Salesman, Insurance Salesman, or Property Administrator as well as any similar jobs handeling finances.
Did my Final Project on Start-up businesses.
Of course most of this qualifies me to do absolutely nothing outside of Denmark ^^
But still, once the basic understand is there it's just a matter of learning the legal presedents and regulations :)

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 06:27:26 PM »
Hello there.
I'm a long-time gamer (since the Commodore 64 days) and long-time pen-and-paper role-player.

I've been creating my own role-playing game worlds (one Cyberpunk and one Fantasy) since Dungeons and Dragons was deemed satanic at my boarding school in the early '80s (no, I'm not joking).
Now I'm writing a fantasy novel set in my fantasy world, but I still find lots of time for gaming.  =)

Nice to be on board.

Hey Nomad - good to get to know you. I heard a reference to dungeons and dragons being linked to satanism over the last few days - it's really strange if you think about it, but I guess many media, especially music has been connected. Any idea why this is the case? (I must do some reading on this!)

How's the novel coming along? I spent a few years writing but never really got much further than a dozen or so short stories. Found it really hard to write something bigger.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 06:34:00 PM »
not at all...
Asking is the only way to learn...

It was rough the first year or so...
And I've gotten very fat since then
But once I got out of the old rut, I could settle into a new one...
That was one of the reasons for me making such a big change...
Already had 2 tours of Afghanistan behind me and was fairly certain I wasn't coming back home from a third...

as for what I studied, subjects are a female dog to translate between languages, but it's a branch of finances.
Pretty broad one too...
It qualifies me to become a trainee as Bank advisor, Accountant, Real Estate Salesman, Insurance Salesman, or Property Administrator as well as any similar jobs handeling finances.
Did my Final Project on Start-up businesses.
Of course most of this qualifies me to do absolutely nothing outside of Denmark ^^
But still, once the basic understand is there it's just a matter of learning the legal presedents and regulations :)

Sounds like a difficult transition. I'm glad to hear you got out of the army in time. Sorry to hear that your education isn't very transferable overseas.

I went to college twice - first time I studied English and Philosophy, and then Computing. I couldn't get a job with the first degree (philosophy would be okay for making a living if you lived in Athens a few hundred years BCE :)

Nighteyes

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 07:40:09 PM »
you were just born too late to be who you wanted to be ^^