Author Topic: [P Resolved] Adjusting low quality light  (Read 5995 times)

ushas

[P Resolved] Adjusting low quality light
« on: April 23, 2017, 09:19:56 PM »
However, from the practical gameplay perspective I must say that the mentioned fps drop doesn't matter so much to me in comparison not be able to see much clearly if the Lightning Quality is put to Low. Have you considered some workarounds, eg. rise overall light of the scene when one doesn't use that nuanced lightning?

Apart that, I don't know what decides which point lights will be on/off with changed settings but those lights on attached pictures (low and high lightning qualities) make it actually harder to see, especially when you zoom out. So perhaps it would also help if those shine less in the end, and if possible only down and to the sides. Or anything else to make them less forceful.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 12:16:05 PM by Daithi »

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: [Fix Req] Adjusting low quality light
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 10:36:35 AM »
Thanks Ushas, very useful. You're right on increasing the overall light when on low. For a start, fog needs to be turned off on low, and as you suggested, ambient light increased. I've made some changes to colour correction this time, so will need to do a pass on lighting. I'll revisit low settings when I'm at it.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 10:05:15 AM »
I've increased lighting level and removed the fog. Visibility is better now, but it's not obvious where the play area ends in low lighting (the city background doesn't use realtime light).

ushas

Re: [Resolved] Adjusting low quality light
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 01:23:59 PM »
I can see the border clearly when the grid is on. Perhaps you can give the battle map the black outline. However, there is also some FPS gain when the background is turned off.

ushas

Re: [Resolved] Adjusting low quality light
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 12:38:58 AM »
Um... don't want to spoil the fun, but there is a low quality issue, unsure if related to the map or changes you've made.
Setup: v17, linux, DowntownMed4, Config:1
With Lightning quality set to low this map will have blacked out floor and some other textures like bins etc., see attached screenshot. Nothing except changing Lightning quality to medium or high seems to change that.

I don't know what is the policy about necroing from this graveyard, so feel free to unleash the admin powers upon this heresy, or... well, the blessed fix would put it to back to sleep too.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 08:44:06 AM »
Necro is fine - I'll just move it back. Mostly just wanted to clear out the resolved, to allow older bugs to bubble up. Think I haven't labelled many of earlier bug reports so want to get that soon.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 11:06:57 AM »
Can't recreate on windows. Does this happen to the road in DownTownMed2 (6)? - it's using the same shader as the road in med4. I'll have a look at this when I get the linux build ready for this version myself.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 02:45:21 PM »
Windows 9... did you hack microsoft? :)

ushas

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 09:55:35 PM »
Hm, you're right. I haven't noticed that on other maps. So it appears on many DowtownMed maps it influences lamps and bins. In fact on other maps too. Is it possible to be connected to objects instead of maps? DowntownMed4 is the only one with such scale so far.

One interesting tidbit is that on DowntownMed3 there is a dustbin object that is ok on the low quality setting but blacks out on medium & high. See attached image. 

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 07:47:07 AM »
The scenes would have similar objects, the plaza tiles, footpaths, roads, which are blacked out on one but not other. Lighting is configured automatically, and those objects would share the same shaders & materials between scenes. Worst bit is can't test it easily, as would need to build and transfer to linux with each change to see if anything has worked. There must be some difference in there, will look for it some more. The high quality one is likely mostly down to being in shade

ushas

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 12:01:28 AM »
Yeah you're probably right. Btw. that dustbin on DowntownMed3 has a shield icon inside, if you long for an easy fix;)
Tried to hunt it in the log, so far found nothing different with my limited eye. 

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 12:15:47 PM »
I found one different lighting setting on this map, but don't think there's much I can do with it outside that. I'll leave a note that switching to lowest light setting is not recommended - in general, there's not much of a differences in FPS between med -> low. Not ideal, but the best I can do for now.