Author Topic: [Added] Recruitment difficulty when Sam was level 11  (Read 9296 times)

Nomad

[Added] Recruitment difficulty when Sam was level 11
« on: December 09, 2017, 12:17:18 PM »
Elena is near the bottom of the map (I still have Emilia to find yet).
I'm playing Hard Boiled.

I lost count the number of times Elena died and I had to restart.
I did the mission over and over and over and over.
They were just hitting so hard and neither her nor I were really laying any hits in.
They hit like trucks, and we plink them.
I'm using a Raskol 94 assault rifle, shooting twice a turn and she's using her default and shooting three times. They smack her around and she goes down in about two or three rounds (once they've closed).
It was getting sooooo frustrating... until I looked at her character sheet. She had 3 Perk points and 30 skill points.
I started the next attempt and went into her sheet and spent all her points on her Firearms and spent the three Perks. Bingo. Won the round.

She was level 10 by the time I found her.
Without those skills being spent, she just couldn't keep up.
Perhaps a prompt to level up new companions if they have some points?
I was seriously annoyed and having no fun doing her recruitment over and over.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 01:18:14 PM by Daithi »

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: Recruitment difficulty when Sam was level 11
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 02:25:26 PM »
Yeah, that makes sense. Really want to avoid frustrating difficulty spikes. Will move this into bugs (just so it gets more attention)

Nomad

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 03:16:10 AM »
It think this particular problem just needs the player to be aware that the character has skills to level up.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 01:18:02 PM »
Yeah, it's a pretty simple fix. Now, if there's unspent skills, perks or stats, it will flash a notification when the character's turn starts. Good call.

Nomad

Re: [Added] Recruitment difficulty when Sam was level 11
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 11:21:57 PM »
I have a suggestion... please don't make it obnoxious for those that actually want to hold their points.

lol... it's a fine line.
I often hold onto Perk points if there is a Stat requirement that I am waiting for.
So, you want it obvious enough that someone who is unaware can notice that the points are available... but not so obvious to annoy someone who already knows.
Hmm... I'm kind of leaning back toward doing a check during the start of a recruitment mission and simply pointing out that the recruit has some points (if they do), rather than notifying the player all the time.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 11:01:45 AM »
Yeah, that's a good point. I'll add in a check so it only flashes at beginning, or during first turn or two.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 05:05:03 PM »
Just flashes in character's first turn now.

Nomad

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 11:57:41 PM »
Good call.
We'll see how it plays out in practice and give you feedback.  =)

ushas

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 07:10:59 PM »
Glad you're turning this reminder off for perks. I often play with some points unspent and it was pestering me on every battle. Don't see much of reason for anybody not wanting to rise skills/stats though, so that's prob. all right. However, if there will be any in the future, some people might ask for an option to turn it off. Just making a note. Majority will be glad for this feature, of course.

As for recruiting allies later being harder. In the past, it was often 10+ lvl difference and I tell ya wasn't forgetting to lvl up right on their first turn, provided they managed survive up then... Yeah, what perceived definitely harder was right at the start: can be handicaped at re-position but also the higher the lvl difference the higher probability an ally acts last in the first round (np for Elena though). In the past got Emilia destroyed like this before she got the chance. However, their missions got easier post EA.

If you will ever revisit this, think would be neat to have a chance to lvlup before the battle. Perhaps like Sam at the start? Initial conversation can end with the 'character sheet' button instead of the launch arrow one -> that would allow us to familiarize with a new ally, check their inventory and distribute any points beforehand. And then from there - the arrow button launches the battle.

Additionally, what about stats. If an ally is recruited early you can distribute points how you want in the future, whereas if many levels later the ally has stats already assigned and you can't change anything. This autoleveling thingy is a bit stubborn in assigning points anywhere else than to Fleetness. Will you deliberate stat points?

Edit: Oh, forgot there there is also the equipment. Don't they have the same starting one? With Emilia, Sam starts not so near so not easy to pass her an armour or a better gun. Would be neat if he can throw it. Think I've used smoke grenades to shield her.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 02:48:29 AM by ushas »

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 03:06:26 PM »
I think the notification will no longer appear for perks, as they can no longer be applied in combat.

In general, difficulty of ally encounter missions has gone down. Some of them were just too hard, and this can lead to early game frustration.

Will see what happens with stats and showing the character sheet at the start of the encounter. At the minute, auto stats are different by character, but typically, the stats are placed to support the ally's existing tendencies.

ushas

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 06:37:57 PM »
Yeah, I understood that. It was meant as thanks.

Just was trying to share an experience from different angle in addition to what was already said.

I think it's a tenth version anniversary for me. Cheers, guys!

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 09:15:52 PM »
Sure - if it does pop up let me know, will fix.

I hope there isn't a 20th version anniversary : ) Thanks for all the help!

ushas

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 12:42:10 PM »
Seems it does. Started a battle with Sam and Elena and it says they have a stat or skill point unspent despite they don't, only perks points remain. Then after spending those perk points the pop up doesn't fire anymore.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 03:34:27 PM »
Ah ok, will have another look!

ushas

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 03:56:26 PM »
Hm, it also pops up on the second turn not only on the first, but not the subsequent ones anymore. In case it plays any role, only checked this with two-team and with Sam acting first in the battle.