Author Topic: [Resolved] Mafia Villa: Enemies having LOS through building  (Read 3514 times)

ushas

[Resolved] Mafia Villa: Enemies having LOS through building
« on: February 02, 2018, 04:08:06 PM »
(v23, linux)

Here goes picture how enemies were able to hit us (had to make a panorama, that map is big):

So the boss shoots Sam through the building as highlighted. Hope it doesn't look am unable to draw a straight line. :-[ To get the proper trajectory, naturally, had to take into account the rain humidity having impact on the bullet's drag, its drop due to gravity, make adjustments for gyroscopic drift, and don't forget the wind... Well, at least you have the picture.

The bottom image is when another enemy shoots throught the building.

Think tried to step on Sam's position and other nearby, but got no los on the boss from there. Like it's only one way.

Btw. that's around ~30 tiles? The boss has a pistol (Eurocorp Nemesis, max effective range 10) and shoots like for breakfast. My snipers have also a fair CTH above max (think even ~50% at 20 tiles). Np on its own. However, given the maps, if the effective range is to serve purpose of distinguishing weapon types (thus also for enemies to shoot from various distances), it serves it only to certain extend - due how well the skill overcomes penalties. It's a similar to close with rifles. So in case it's desired for effective range to have a considerate impact, I would suggest to up the constant for penalty above max distance. And perhaps give pistols even faster drop (if possible) as well as lowering the maximum for pistols. And/or if you can come with a way to balance and further vary the skill in terms how much it influences what aspect of various weapon categories, that could be even more interesting.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 06:16:26 PM by Daithi »

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: Mafia Villa: Enemies having LOS through building
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 05:31:20 PM »
I thought you used a ruler to draw the line, tbh :) But then again, my eyes are a bit crooked, so crooked things often appear straight to me...

Yep, I've just scaled up the penalty for snipers below range, and fixed a problem with the ronin rifle not having this penalty. Trying to discourage long range shots, and increasing this max range penalty would help with this. Will tweak it a bit this time around.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: Mafia Villa: Enemies having LOS through building
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 06:16:13 PM »
Have upped the penalty for out of range shots and added an extra collider to the building to block shots.

ushas

Re: [Resolved] Mafia Villa: Enemies having LOS through building
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 03:44:56 AM »
Are you saying that you see order in chaos?... Drop making games. Apply in meteorology!

Looking forward to out of range changes. Think forgot to add it doesn't need to be looked at right away:)
and fixed a problem with the ronin rifle not having this penalty
Oh, just saved me from investigation.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: [Resolved] Mafia Villa: Enemies having LOS through building
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 08:31:43 AM »
Can make chaos from order if that's any good :)

I was in the area and figured would have a quick look. Will try wrap up this update by the end of the week, so going back to dev. Will likely have to break the save today, as couldn't progress with the new feature until I do, but wanted to leave it as late as possible so can use old save games.