Author Topic: The Stranger [Albert Camus]  (Read 14683 times)

Daithi

• Global Moderator
The Stranger [Albert Camus]
« on: October 24, 2016, 12:29:56 PM »
Finished The Stranger by Albert Camus. The Stranger is based in Algiers and focuses on Mersault, a man with tendencies that could at best be described as apathetic and at worst as nihilistic, and a limited understanding of the unspoken rules which govern interpersonal relationships. He's a creature of the senses, hedonistic, nothing appears to matter much to Mersault except sun, sea, cigarettes, sex, wine and food. The plot focuses on a thoughtless killing of an Arab by Mersault, and the subsequent court case - which effectively ignores the murder, and sees him convicted on the basis of his apathy and atheism. In prison, Mersault turns away from his earlier apathy, and develops an desire for life and freedom. With this, Camus seems to be suggesting that although the universe is indifferent, often hostile, to the individual, striving in the face of this indifference, rather than surrendering to apathy, offers a better way to live.

It's a short read, insightful, engaging and the plot is easy to follow, though the underlining thesis will take some grappling with. Recommended!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:33:21 PM by Daithi »

sneak-peak

• sneakerstudio.com
Re: The Stranger [Albert Camus]
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 02:20:40 PM »
I would also add that "Stranger" (L'Etranger) is a part of the Trilogy, consisting of two more pieces: The Plague (La Peste) and The Fall (La Chute). Read all of them, but for me The Fall is the most moving, read it about three times, then passed it to some person, can't remember who, not to keep such a book in my flat, if it can be read. Really, an explicit critique of many of the the moral victories we - me - took our pride in.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 03:00:33 PM »
Hi sneak-peak! Welcome. Haven't read The Plage, but thought The Fall was a great read. Been a few years since I read it, but must revisit it again soon.

reversephonelookup

• who called me? phone number finder for FREE
    • who called me free lookup
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 05:24:06 PM »
Yeaaa I read The Fall last summer, pretty much changed my mind about alooot ofstuff, totally recommended book maaan

Staub

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 03:44:09 PM »
Yeaaa I read a lot of info on cpap machines last summer, pretty much changed my mind about alooot ofstuff, totally recommended book maaan

I remember reading The Stranger in highschool. It was a mandatory read at out school. Amazing book!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 12:45:38 PM by Staub »

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 11:02:21 AM »
Liked the Fall too, though it is a few years since I read it.

@Staub: Nice that you got to read it early. Our reading at that stage was much less interesting!