Author Topic: The October 2016 Film Thread  (Read 23413 times)

Daithi

• Global Moderator
The October 2016 Film Thread
« on: September 26, 2016, 10:13:16 PM »
Hey all. Been a while since I've posted about films, but I thought I'd try to get this thread rolling again.

Recently watched ARQ (2016) by Tony Elliott. Falling somewhere between sci-fi and thriller, ARQ mixes a groundhog day loop with a home invasion scenario, with a couple of twists thrown in. The increasing number of characters aware of their situation try to change their actions in each iteration, hoping for a better outcome. At 88 minutes, it doesn't overstay its welcome, and is nicely paced. I didn't recognize any of the actors - which is something I have a soft spot for - movies can feel more immersive without a cast of big name stars. The likely quite small budget doesn't hurt the production either. If you like well paced thrillers and are looking for a fairly short movie, you could do a lot worse.

LauraGat

The October 2016 Film Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 04:56:40 PM »
was out of town when the show thread was posted
I also love me some CFN especially Elwood and thought this was a great show.

___
NEW XRumer 12.0.19 + SocPlugin: revolutional method in SEO and SMM

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: The October 2016 Film Thread
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 10:09:17 AM »
First time I've heard of Elwood - seems like an interesting concept. Will investigate further : )

Nomad

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 05:03:18 AM »
Jack Reacher 2 (I forget the sub title)
Let me start by saying that I like Tom Cruise movies, even though I think Tom Cruise is a... err... bit strange.
This wasn't a particularly great movie. The pacing was a bit off, the premise was silly and they tried shoe-horning in some relationship stuff that really didn't work.

The premise is that he likes some woman that he talks to on the phone. So much so, that he travels to her city to meet her. She JUST SO HAPPENS to be arrested the day before he gets there. So, he jumps into the plot that revolves around her. This effectively means that if the person he had to deal with was a guy, he would never have gotten involved... or if she was arrested a week or more earlier, he never would have gotten involved. It was all very odd. None of the main plot was relevant to him.

Then they forced a romance and tried to add a child we don't care about. Mostly things that shouldn't be forced in action movies.
Not a great movie.

Nighteyes

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 10:45:01 AM »
If you are enjoying wellpaced thrillers Daithi you should consider giving Peaky Blinders a try...
It's a very... let's go with original, series...
Took me a couple of episodes to get into and then I gobbled up the rest of the current 3 seasons in a very short time...

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 11:59:22 AM »
@ Nomad: Good to know it's not up to much. Haven't watched the first one. Sounds the the sort of movie I might watch if it was on tv.

@ Nighteyes: Have heard a lot of people talking about it, but never really looked into it. Didn't realise it was a thriller, will have to check it out.

Nighteyes

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 12:37:38 PM »
@Daithi well, depends how much thriller you see...
It can be argued it's simplky drama, but there is a lot of thriller elements use repeatedly...
Give it a spin... if you don't like it after 1-2 episodes give it up... but I'd say it's worth a chance... and besides, what else were you gonna do for those 1-2 hours?? Code a game?? :P

Nomad

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 02:10:45 AM »
@ Nomad: Good to know it's not up to much. Haven't watched the first one. Sounds the the sort of movie I might watch if it was on tv.

As far as I know, the first Jack Reacher was pretty good. People were hoping for more with this one.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 10:56:25 AM »
I haven't watched any Tom Cruise movies since that one where he was going around destroying couches by jumping on them ... thought the plot was pretty thin in that one :)

alcofermbrew

• Yeasts for home brewing of cider, moonshine, turbo
    • turbo yeast cider
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 11:38:29 AM »
Peaky Blinders... yesterday I was listeing to OST and it's soo good ... I may give it a try, then. I was looking at the all-knowing cheekbones of Nick Cave.