Author Topic: [Resolved] Map failed to start  (Read 5228 times)

Nomad

[Resolved] Map failed to start
« on: December 19, 2016, 01:42:15 PM »
The map loaded.
This is my third game for this evening. This map was used in my first and third game.
The first time it was fine.
It is the map with the log benches and chairs. The Cafe/Bar. Brick & Oven pizza map.
First time I played it ok was with the Church people.
The second time I played this map was supposed to be against Mafia.

My characters are in the map. No enemies have loaded.
I have the map with no UI.
I did not get the Repositioning dialog.
I did not get the Combat Starts static screen.

While writing this report.... I was hitting escape before changing screens because otherwise it keeps moving the camera because I went off the edge of the screen.
At some point the UI appeared.
I also have the Loot & Leave button. Clicking Loot & Leave does nothing. It does give the button beep when I click, but nothing happens.
I can't move my character.

I expect that the following information is irrelevant, but I'll include it anyway as I checked a few things while I was there.
If I enter Equipment or the Character screen, the character portrait is a white screen.
There is no equipment in the Equipment screen and no money.
In the Character screen the character info says 'LEVEL HERE' and REPUTATION: UNKNOWN.
The skills are all full except the first two, which are part way through. But... the skill number says 'New Text'.
Core Stats have the names, but the values are blank.
Derived stats have no names and almost all the fields have 'New Text' in them except two. The fourth one down on the left is blank and the third one down says 'Ne'.
Health shows as 555/555

Can't change weapons. Stuck on fist. Clicking reload says "Quit fooling around" which I assume is because I am trying to reload my hands.

The game is cactus.

I do have four buttons next to my weapons. I have reload, crouch, a standing man and the dove.
Usually I don't have the standing man. With the extra button, the dove is mostly cut off by the bottom of the screen.

I can't save the game, but I assume that's because I'm supposedly in a fight.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:15:01 AM by Daithi »

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: Map failed to start
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 02:10:30 PM »
Hey, thanks for this. This is one of the things I was afraid of - maps breaking in some situations. It's great to have help testing, because if it was just me, this could have gone unnoticed for a long time. This is a high priority bug, will fix for next update.

It's obviously hit a problem in the setup logic, before enemies are placed. Most likely, since it is Mafia, and this map has a dialogue encounter with it, there was an issue with loading that. It's a good place to start looking. Just to eliminate another possibility - do you remember how big your team was when you faced the church of the final exodus, and how big your team was when facing the mafia? To explain - each map has a minimum of 2 configurations, one for smaller encounters, one for larger - it's also possible that one of the configurations works, but there is an issue with the other one.

Nomad

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 07:53:56 AM »
I have four players that I've been using.
This is the game where I have two of that cop woman back at my home base.
Only one cop woman comes out on missions though. Back at base in the Party screen she is showing as the first and last character. Only the first one comes on missions.

So, I have myself and the three picked up characters in the party.
All three games I played in that instance had the same three.
Oh... there was ONE change (but I assume it is irrelevant). I just bought a new assault rifle for the woman in the red get up. The other vigilante character that starts with a Mac-10 looking gun. I assume it's a woman. lol... I just looked it up. I just fave Elena Furey the Raskol 148 gun.
I expect that it's the Mafia that caused the problem though.  =)

LMAO... so in answer to your question... I had 4 characters on my team in both games on that map. First game Exodus enemies, second game Mafia.

Nomad

Tried again
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 07:59:07 AM »
Ok... interesting...
I didn't realise the game auto-saved. I thought I'd lost everything from the previous two games but it's appeared to save it before the game started.
I tried that map again.
It worked this time. It was still clunky though. It went straight into tactical repositioning and didn't load the bottom UI elements.
I hit escape to write this additional information. When I resumed the game, the bottom UI elements were there. I had 'Skip' and 'End' at the top left near the initiative portraits. I hit 'End' and the game started.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 07:16:05 PM »
Thanks for the extra info. Hope to have 4th new map finished by tonight, so well get on to bug fixing soon.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 06:40:32 PM »
I've found an issue with encounter and have fixed it. I'll do more testing to make sure it is working consistently. Thanks for the heads up!

usha

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 09:34:25 PM »
Very similar issue (v14, linux): happened to me twice during day on the map with the bar building (I remember survivalists with a sharshooter and cars there in the past). Only the map loads. Nothing helps just reload.

A trivia: I have turned off 'show city background' option and normally on other maps there is black color around, whereas in this instance I see red background. Though that's probably unrelated:)

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 09:57:30 AM »
Thanks a lot for all the bug reports, usha. I'll fix as many of these as possible for v15!

Daithi

• Global Moderator
[Resolved] Map failed to start
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 09:36:22 AM »
Found this issue and fixed, thanks. I'd accidentally disabled some of the player and enemy start areas.