Author Topic: main character gender  (Read 4968 times)

Nomad

main character gender
« on: September 03, 2017, 11:49:30 PM »
As the model has a ski mask on... and the portrait is only a small pic...
How hard would it be to allow the player to pick a male or female lead?
If a lot of the dialog would have be be changed, then that would suck.

If it wouldn't be a major hassle other than getting another portrait and a few modifications to some of the exiting art, then it might be something to consider.
I think female players would appreciate the effort. The 3D model wouldn't have to change. Baggy clothing, ski mask and body armour make us all pretty generic.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
Re: main character gender
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 09:48:29 AM »
Have thought about it, and like the idea, but unfortunately, at this level of resourcing, it's probably a non runner. Apart from the dialogue, all illustrations with Sam in them would need to be redrawn, and we'd also need twice as much voice acting. It would be too big of a draw on resources, which could likely be better allocated elsewhere. That's not to say a female lead isn't worthwhile, but with 3/7 playable characters being female, I think we're doing okay on providing characters everyone can relate to.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 12:13:54 PM by Daithi »

Nomad

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 10:42:18 PM »
Yeah, I figured it would be a stretch.
I also didn't realise until today that there would be voice acting for Sam.  =)

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 11:15:29 PM »
Am considering female protagonist for next game... would be nice to have both, but it makes extra work for VO, illustrations and writing. But that's a way aways!

Nomad

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 03:47:46 AM »
I don't think it has to be all that much extra work.

Firstly... don't do VO for the main character. If I'm roleplaying, I'll read the character in my own voice. When it's in someone else's voice, then your stuck with it.
I think GuildWars 2 really limited it when they did that. All my Male Human characters are identical. It's weird.

Secondly... you have a talented artist. She can draw the scene and the backgrounds and even the character's body. Then just do two heads.
Or... if it's going to be anything like vigilante... she doesn't even have to do that if the character keeps the balaclava on.

Thirdly... Writing... You add gender variables where appropriate. He/She, Him/Her, etc. Then put the variable into the text and have the program display the right one.
That's if it's needed. If the character says "Me" or "I", then it's not needed. If people refer to the character as "you" or "vigilante" then it's even easier.

=P

Everything is so easy in other people's heads.

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 10:18:20 AM »
That's very much along the lines I'd be thinking. That's the lowest cost option, but I'm really attached to having VO in games, even if it is just a couple 1000 words. Get a lot of enjoyment out of writing the intros, and getting back good VO work that brings it to life. Think it helps quite a lot establishing atmosphere, though as you observed, maybe it takes something away too.

Regarding illustrations, if the illustration is anyway up close, and characters are realistically proportioned, you just wouldn't get away with replacing the head in the vast majority of situations. Olga would probably refuse :) The entire character would need to be redrawn in every scene, so if was considering this route, would be inclined to include protagonist less in illustrations, or more distantly, or from a perspective where less detail is required, or stylise the art in such a way as to reduce the amount of work required. Also, each artwork commissioned costs funding and one of the biggest (if not the biggest) factors in final quality when working with limited resources, is being incredibly careful in how you allocate them.

There are going to be quite a few smaller things to consider too, many of which may not be obvious until they become a problem.

I have a basic system like that in place, which modifies the text based on gender of speaker, but it's currently only set up for third person. I will give this serious thought for next game, assuming it's same genre, quite a lot of the basic systems will be in place, so will be able to pursue other features.

I think if I had extra capacity this time around, to make the best game possible, it would be best to work on features (like improving the crafting system, or making enemies present more varied tactical challenges) or build out the content.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:16:57 PM by Daithi »

Nomad

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 03:23:32 AM »
Oh, of course. So many other features have higher priority for this game.

If you want a hand implementing stuff in your next game, let me know.  =P

Daithi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 10:46:41 AM »
Sure, will do - thanks for the offer!